1. Nebraska – Cornhusker faithful are polite, knowledgable about the game of football, and supported a pretty darn good football team a decade and a half ago.
2. Wisconsin – The student section in Madison is one of the best. Those clowns get a little raunchy up there and are getting a first hand view of the decline of the Big 10, but they create a great atmosphere for a football game.
3. Texas A&M – The friendliest campus in a America, visiting fans rave about the hospitality shown by Aggies. The beautiful campus and outstanding tailgating atmosphere make Texas A&M the class of the state of Texas.
4. Auburn – War Eagle! Boasting the best stadium in Alabama and one of the best in the country, the down to earth Auburn fans are a true contrast to their friends down the road.
5. West Virginia – A football hotbed grew in the middle of nowhere, and it’s a wonderful gameday atmosphere. The Mountaineer program will continue to excel no matter who is coaching them.
6. Michigan – The Big House, need we say more. Michigan fans are known for being laid back,and they support their team no matter how bad they are.
7. Tennessee – Speaking of big houses and the middle of nowhere, Tennessee fans are the most loyal in the SEC, even surpassing Auburn fans in that category. They deserve a better team.
8. Minnesota – Despite playing in a balloon minutes from the North Pole, Minnesota fans support the Gophers more than the team deserves. Their new digs will be nice.
9. Oregon – Earthiness and football can blend together. Take a trip to Autzen, and you’ll feel the love for college football on the outskirts of our country.
10. Florida – Once called the sleeping giant, now they are truly a giant. The 2008 SEC champions enjoy one of the greatest home field advantages in college football.
1. Alabama – Alabama fans have absurd expectations and hate each other more than they hate fans of other schools. The plantation like hierarchy of Alabama fans is a true oddity in college football today.
2. Pittsburgh – What you have here are Philadelphia Eagles type fans following a college football team. I think their fans are the ones that can’t afford to buy tickets to Steelers games.
3. Texas – Hardly any students bother to attend games. Local businesses buy most of the tickets creating an atmosphere where half of the fans aren’t really pulling for one team or the other.
4. Rutgers – Terrible atmosphere. Terrible fans. Awful. Pathetic.
5. Penn State – Their passion for football can’t be denied, but their knowledge of the game and geographical deficiencies plunge Lions fans to among the worst in college football.
6. Kentucky – When you go to a football game, you don’t want someone talking shit to you about basketball, especially when their basketball team got killed on national television twice in the first week of the season. Billy will turn it around, though, if he doesn’t implode first.
7. North Carolina (tie) – The situation here is similar to the one at Kentucky. North Carolina fans simply don’t care about football and most have never heard of Ethan Horton.
7. Ohio State (tie) – OSU’s fan base used to be much worse, but a string of embarrassing blowouts in big games have humbled the Buckeye faithful. The Michigan fan is so much classier than the Ohio State fan.
9. LSU – Tiger stadium is dangerous for visiting fans. There seems to be a cross section similar to Alabama’s situation, but all LSU fans seem to get along, whether they live in a lean-to in a swamp or on a 17th century mansion on 75,000 acres.
10. Texas Tech – A school that is on the brink of shutting down due to accreditation issues, Texas Tech has fans that enjoy tearing the bleachers out of their stadium. “Wow, we won a game, let’s tear up our stadium.”
*Please note that Notre Dame, USC, and Miami were not eligible for consideration in these rankings.