1. Oklahoma – The Sooners are watching Texas A&M leave the conference and wanting to get out themselves, but may not want to go through the hassle at this time. On the field, Landry Jones was shaky in week 1.
2. Oklahoma State* – The Pokes sport an explosive offense and their defense looks good enough to keep them in some games.
3. Iowa State* – The Cyclones looked pretty good beating their rival this weekend. They should reach a bowl game this year.
4. Missouri – Tough loss in Arizona St on Friday night, but it looks like the Tigers will be a force in the Big 12 this season. Their string of ten win seasons is likely gone.
5. Texas Tech – It’s hard to get a read on things out in west Texas. The Raiders were trailing Southwest Texas State in week one.
6. Baylor* – The Bears had their biggest win since joining the Big 12 and, ironically, it was against a school they screwed over when the SWC imploded.
7. Texas – Quarterback problems. You know things are bad when the Longhorn faithful are excited about scoring 17 points.
8. Kansas State* – I fully expect Kansas State to show something in the near future. Look for them to move up this list as the season unfolds.
9. Kansas* – They miss the fat man.
* Denotes a team that does not belong in a BCS conference
Note – Texas A&M has asked to not be associated with the Big 12. We are respecting their wishes by not including them in this poll. They would have been ranked number 1.